Pickled Sucker Fish Roe
Reprinted with permission,
- 1 qt
- 1 c
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp
- pickling spices
- bay leaf
- allspice, crushed (optional)
- a few springs of parsley
- pickling salt
- fish roe (sucker is best)
How to Make Pickled Sucker Fish Roe
- 1Gently remove the skeins (or sacs) of eggs from the body cavity of the fish, taking care not to break the membrane.
- 2Small sacs of eggs are best.
Drop skeins (or sacs) of eggs in any pickling salt.
Cover completely and leave in salt for one hour.
Meahwhile, combine water, vinegar, onion, spices, bay leaf, allspice, and parsley.
- 3Remove sacs from salt and rinse gently in fresh water. Set aside.
Simmer combined ingredients about 10 minutes.
Gently drop in sacs of eggs
- 4Cook an additional 30 minutes then let cool in the juice.
Excellent hot or cold.