PEGGI'S FRIED FISH
Peggi Anne Tebben
How to Make PEGGI'S FRIED FISH
- 1Make sure fish has been soaked in cold water & preferably frozen in water first. This takes the fishy taste out of it. *If doing catfish, soak a few hours in buttermilk first, just before frying.
- 2Mix milk & egg. Set aside. This mixture holds the batter on better & keeps the fish from overcooking & toughening up.
- 3Place cornmeal mix in Batter Pro if you have one. If you don't, just place in bowl. **I use cornmeal mix over just cornmeal because it is a finer grain & has flour mixed in, making a lighter breading & not so gritty.
- 4Put about 2" of canola oil in deep cast iron pot. Peanut oil is the best for frying, but is more expensive. Canola oil is healthier than others & tastes good too. Heat, so it's hot enough when you drop a FF in, it doesn't sink but starts frying.
- 5Dip fish in egg mixture & shake off excess. Now,dip in cornmeal mix to coat. Make sure you press on the meal to adhere to fish.
- 6Drop carefull into hot oil & fry, turning once until golden brown. Turn out onto paper towel to drain. Salt right away. Serve with lemon wedge or tartar sauce.