Old Fashioned Fish Pie
- fish fillets - any mild white fish is great. i used swai
- 1-2 sprig(s)
- fresh thyme
- 1/4 c
- dry sherry
- 1 c
- water - or as much as needed to poach fish
- 2 tsp
- lemon juice
- 1 pinch
- medium potatoes mashed.
- 1 c
- frozen peas
- 1/2 c
- frozen pearl onions-optional
How to Make Old Fashioned Fish Pie
- 1Peel, cook and mash potatoes or use a box of instant potatoes- yukon gold or other mildly flavored mix. Set aside
- 2Season fillets with salt, pepper then poach in a skillet on the stovetop.Once the pan starts simmering, cover and poach about 4-5 mins,using both liquids and herbs ,peas and onions. Remove fish from liquid and flake, but save some of the poaching liquid. Remove peas and onions with a slotted spoon. Discard sprigs of herbs.
While poaching, preheat oven to 350.
- 3Mix fish, peas, onions and some of the poaching liquid( 1-2 tbs.to make potatoes spreadable) with the mashed potatoes and spread in a glass pie plate or other oven-safe dish that is lightly greased. Drag a knife over the top of the potato mixture and dot with butter if you like. Bake @ 350 for about 20-25 mins until heated through and top is a little browned.