Newport Clams Casino en Casserole
You rarely see them on the menu any longer and I wanted some but couldn't justify making them for a week night dinner appetizer, so whoila` Clams Casino en Casserole.
Served with a side of spaghtetti dressed with garlic and olive oil and a huge salad and crusty bread and you will think you have moved by the sea.
- 2 slice
- bacon, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium
- red or green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small
- onion, finely chopped
- 3 clove
- garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp
- oregano, fresh, chopped
- 1/2 c
- dry white wine
- 1 c
- clam meat, chopped, uncooked, well drained see note
- 2 Tbsp
- fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ritz crackers, crushed
- parmigiano-reggiano, grated for topping
How to Make Newport Clams Casino en Casserole
- 1Sauté finely chopped bacon until crisp. Remove from pan, reserving 1 teaspoon bacon fat. Add bell pepper, onion, garlic and oregano and sauté until onion is soft. Add white wine and simmer until wine is almost evaporated (5 minutes). Remove to a bowl and cool for 15 minutes.
- 2When vegetables have cooled add chopped clams, parmesan cheese and parsley. Season to taste with pepper. Turn into casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cooked bacon. Top with crushed crackers and Parmigiana cheese.
Bake in 350-degree oven for 25 minutes.
- 3Note – if you’ve used canned clams rather than uncooked, place casserole under broiler and broil until topping is golden and casserole is bubbling, rather than cooking them for 25 minutes.