New England Fish Cakes with Beans N' Tartar Sauce
Leftover fish cakes make a wonderful sandwich when heated, placed on buns, topped with a slice of cheddar cheese and some home made tartar sauce!!
This recipe is as we like to say in the North East:
"Wicked Good" !!! :)
FISH CAKE RECIPE
1 lbcod, haddock or any mild white fish local to your area
3-4russet potatoes medium size
1 cbread crumbs, dry - plus more for coating fish cakes
1/4 cflat leaf parsley ( italian type...not curley) chopped
2 1/2 Tbspshredded or grated parmesan cheese
2garlic cloves- minced
1 tspold bay seasoning
2spashes of lemon juice
BAKED BEAN RECIPE
2- 28 oz can(s)b&m beans ( not bbq flavored...any others are fine
1/2onion- chopped ( half of the whole onion)
4 Tbspspicy brown mustard
4 Tbspbrown sugar
TAR-TAR SAUCE FOR FISH CAKES
1 chellmans mayonnaise
4 Tbspdill relish
2 Tbspchampagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
2 tspcoarse grain mustard ( the one that looks like 99% seeds)
·splash of lemon juice
·salt and pepper
How to Make New England Fish Cakes with Beans N' Tartar Sauce
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees...
For the Fish Cakes:
Place fish in 9x13 glass pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper and a few small splashes of lemon juice.
Cover tightly with foil and bake for 25 minutes at 425 degrees.
Remove from oven and set aside to cool, leaving the foil in place covering the fish as it cools.
- While fish is baking, peel, chop and boil the potatoes...drain water, return potatoes back to the same pot and let the heat left over from stove burner "dry" the potatoes a bit, giving the pan a few shakes while "drying".
- Add all the fish to the potatoes...(do not add the liquid from the bottom of fish pan)
Mash the fish and potatoes lightly together with potato masher... but mix well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the mash and mix well using your hands.
The mix will be somewhat sticky. Form the mixture into hamburger size patties, about a 1/2 an inch
thick ( you should get in the vicinity of 12 patties depending on your size) Once your patty is formed, coat the front, back and all around the sides of the cake with additional bread crumbs, then set prepared fish cakes on cookie sheets sprayed with Pam if baking.
- You can either fry the patties, a few at a time in canola oil in a cast iron fry pan until golden brown...or you can bake them in the oven at 350 degrees in with the beans... (Fish cakes and Beans will take aprox 1 hour to bake in oven together)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees...
For the Beans:
In a casserole sprayed with Pam, mix all the bean ingredients together...do not cover...place in 350 degree oven with fish cakes and bake for 1 hour flipping fish cakes after a half an hour. Give the beans a few turns with a spoon when you flip the fish. Bake for an additional 30 min to make a total of 60 minutes of baking.
- For the Tar-Tar Sauce:
Mix all the ingredients well and chill for 2 hours...let sit at room temp 1/2 hour before serving
- I hope you all enjoy my "taste of New England" !!