New England Clambake in a Kettle
1/2 lbfirm white fish (cod, halibut)
1-2yukon golden or red potatoes, scrubbed & halved
1 smallonion, peeled
2breakfast pork sausages
2pieces portuguese sausage (liguica or chourico), cut into large chunks
1ear corn with silk removed
15-20mussels or clams, scrubbed & debearded
1-2 lblive lobster, crab or
8 mediumuncooked shrimp, cleaned & deveined
How to Make New England Clambake in a Kettle
- The above ingredients are the average you should add for each person.
- Put fish, potato, onion, and pork sausage on a square of cheesecloth, fold up to make a pouch and tie with kitchen string.
- Put 1 to 1 1/2 inches of water into a large pot. Add steamers, littlenecks and/or mussels, hot dog and chourico. Leave husks on corn. Place corn on top of steamers. Place pouches of potatoes and fish on top of corn. Top with lobster. Cover.
- Place on high heat until steaming, then lower heat and cook until the lobster is red. Time varies with the amount of ingredients. A bake for six takes about an hour.
- TIP: Usually a potato placed on top of the whole boil helps to determine when the boil is done. If the potato is tender to fork touch, the rest of the food is cooked.