New England Clam Bake
★★★★★ 1 vote5
20 (1 lb.) lblobsters
20 lbfresh soft-shell clams or 20 lbs. mussels
10 lbfresh hard-shell littleneck clams
10 lbfresh haddock or 10 lbs cod
20 mediumwhite potatoes
20 mediumsweet potatoes (optional)
20ears of sweet corn
5 lbsausage (hot dogs,bratwurst,kielbsa,), linguica sausage or portuguese chourico
3 lbwhole onions, peeled
1bushel fresh seaweed (wash with clean water)
How to Make New England Clam Bake
- Dig a whole in the ground approximately 2 feet wide, 4 feet long and 18-inches deep.
- Line whole with stones and heat for 2-3 hours using wood and/or charcoal.
- After 2-3 hours, remove coals and embers from stones and place 1/2 bushel fresh seaweed on top of the hot stones.
**REMEMBER: the stones must be extremely hot to achieve adequate steam to cook.
- Now, work quickly to layer food on top of seaweed. Spread food evenly over each other in layers.
- First, place soft shells clams on seaweed;
- Next, little necks;
- Next, sausage and fish; To make it easier for removal, place these ingredients in a cheesecloth bag.
- Next, whole peeled onions, sweet and white potatoes;
- Finally, place Lobsters on top of all.
- Cover food with clean white wet cloth and place remaining seaweed on top of cloth.
- Now, cover entire back with a wet tarpaulin, sealing steam in created by hot stones and seaweed.
- Only allow a small amount of steam to escape to relieve pressure.
- Allow bake to cook 1 or more hours until potatoes are soft.