I am Mom Mom, and I first made this chowder for my son when he was younger. It's incredible on a cold night, and not too bad on a sunny day either! We crunch up pretzels on top instead of crackers, but use whatever floats your boat. ENJOY!
1½ stick butter
1 small chopped onion
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 can chicken stock
4 diced potatoes, skins on (scrubbed well!)
3 large cod filets, diced into large bite-size chunks
1 pt. container fresh minced clams, (or 2 cans)
1/2 lb scallops
Salt & pepper to taste
1 Tb parsley
1/8 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning, to taste
1 cup clam juice
2 Tb all-purpose flour
Half gallon milk
2• In a large stockpot, melt butter over medium heat.
• Sauté onions & celery in butter till soft.
• Add chicken stock and potatoes; simmer for 10 minutes.
• Add fish, and simmer another 10 minutes.
• Stir in milk
• Whisk together clam juice and flour until smooth; stir into soup. Simmer on low 10 min, Stir gently to prevent milk from scorching to bottom. (Stirring makes cod flake apart.)
• Season to taste with salt, pepper, parsley & Old Bay seasoning.
• Serve with crackers or pretzels, PA Dutch style!( If using pretzels, don’t over-salt chowder.)