Just Another Tuna Casserole -- Not
Note: Betty Graves' Tuna and Noodle Casserole inspired this one. I'll try hers next.
The Cream Cheese, Mixed Veggies and Grated Italian 6 Cheeses and Shredded Parmesan did the trick.
It was a hit. I noted various brands used, as I often do. That way I can duplicate it to a tee.
The noodle selection was excellent and I have used them for Beef Tips and Noodles, for my Salmon Noodle Soup and for Chicken Soup. For soups I crumple them slightly before cooking to make them more suited to the spoon when serving soup.
1 pkg12 0z. wide noodles (kalona noodles- old fashined amish country)
1 pkg6.4 oz. tuna in water (vacuum sealed - our family, foil pack)
1 1/2 cfrozen steamy veggies -- (jewel)
3 Tbspextra virgin olive oil, divided (or any oil)
1 pkg8 oz. philly cream cheese
2/3 cshredded italian 6 cheese
2/3 cshredded parmesan cheese
1/3 cpanko crisp bread crumbs to top
1 Tbspevoo drizzled on top
How to Make Just Another Tuna Casserole -- Not
- When water is at a simmer add 1 teaspoon oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook noodles per package directions. I boiled for about 10 minutes, after water came to a boil. Note: Salt will pit Stainless Steel Cookware if added before water comes to a boil.
- In a small bowl microwave the 1 1/2 cups of mixed veggies (mine were Broccoli, Onion, Mushroom and Sweet Red Peppers mix), with one pat butter. They worked excellently.
- In medium bowl add 8 oz. Cream Cheese, and 1/2 cup of the milk. Microwave 2/12 minutes, then stir well. Cream cheese should be melted quite well if not microwave a little more. Add the 2/3 cups of Shredded 6 Cheese Italian and 2/3 cups Shredded Parmesan and stir to melt shredded cheese. When melted add the other 1/2 cup of milk and mix well.
- Drain noodle when done to desired state. Drizzle on 1 tablespoon of EVOO or 3 pats of butter, and stir well gently.
- Lightly oil your baking dish or pan. I used a 9"by 13" glass cake dish. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Add Noodles, Veggies and Tuna to dish and stir well.
Add the Cheese and Milk mixture and stir and combine gently.
- I top with 1/3 cup Panko Plain Bread Crumbs and drizzle with Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. You could cover with foil, (I chose not to. Noodles did not dry out or over cook on top).
- Serve with a side or salad and some great French or Italian Bread. Enjoy. This will hold up to an additional bit of milk to moistene when reheating leftovers.
- Note: Kalona Noodles is the brand name. In a cellophane bag. An excellent noodle.