Grandma Lee's Cioppino
This is a seafood soup. This soup is what ever was freshly caught. The seafood was put into the pot. A finger/soup food that the whole family liked..I have not made this in a long time as I am not around to many places to get the fresh ingredients, and my budget is not allowing me to buy most of the seafood.
- 1 c
- 2 medium
- onions, chopped
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced (i like a little more)
- 1 or 2 large
- v-8 juice, canned
- bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp
- italian seasoning, more or less depending on taste taste
- 1 lb
- extra large shrimp (opt: pealed & de-veined, tails on))
- 1 lb
- dozen fresh clams or mussels, in the shell
- 2 or 3
- cleaned (cooked) crabs, cut into sections
- plenty of sourdough french bread, buttered (with garlic as an option
Stir until soft.
Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
OPT: you may add some white wine
Bring to a boil and cover and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes until clams open and seafood is done.
Enjoy this soup, have plenty of napkins and bread. The bread sops up the juices.
This is a versatile soup. Leave the shells on the shrimp so you have to work at it to enjoy.
You can use as much or as less seafood of your choice and use just enough V-8 to cover the seafood.
You also can add chunks of fish (your choice).If you have shrimp eaters you may want to add a little more shrimp, because they will pick out all the shrimp and leave the rest.
Those lucky to live by the coast can invite me over!