- 2 1/2 lb
- squid, cleaned and sliced into rings
- 2 large
- cloves of garlic-crushed
- 1 c
- flour-seasoned with 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 1 tsp. baking powder and 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 c
- or more-plain breadcrumbs-i use 4c brand
- corn oil-for deep frying
How to Make Fried Calamari
- 1Mix all dry ingredients together, include crushed garlic, but do not include breadcrumbs.
- 2Then add enough water to make a slightly thick batter. Mix thoroughly.
- 3Dip the calamari rings into this batter, then dip into the plain (unseasoned) breadcrumbs.
- 4Deep fry (in small batches) for 1-2 minutes at about 375*F. Do not over cook or they will be chewy.
- 5I always serve this with homemade marinara sauce!