The photo is my own, and so is this humble recipe.
- taco cream sauce:
- tablespoons mayonaise
- tablespoons sour cream
- tablespoon lime juice
- teaspoon lime zest
- green onions sliced fine
- tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- teaspoon dill
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoon minced garlic
- fish tacos:
- large filets of sole, catfish or white fish
- 1 1/4
- cup white corn meal (not yellow)
- teaspoon paprika
- teaspoon red pepper flakes
- teaspoon cumin
- teaspoon coriander
- teaspoon garlic powder
- teaspoon garlic salt
- cup corn oil for frying fish
- flour tortillas
- corn tortillas
- cups fine sliced cabbage or grated
- large radishes, sliced and cut into strips
- tablespoons fine chopped parsley
- tablespoons fine chopped cilantro
- sour cream and avocado salsa
How to Make FISH TACOS
- 1Cook's Tip: It makes it much easier if you make the sauce and prepare the cabbage mixture and refrigerate them until you are ready to make the fish tacos.
- 2MAKE THE TACO SAUCE:
Combine the following ingredients in a small bowl and mix well: mayonaise, sour cream, lime juice, lime zest, green onions, cilantro, dill, salt and garlic. Refrigerate to chill until serving.
- 3MAKE THE GARNISH:
In a medium bowl combine the following and mix well: 3 cups cabbage, radishes, parsley and cilantro. Toss, cover and refrigerate.
- 4PREPARE THE FISH:
Preheat the skillet on medium high, add the corn oil. In a pie plate, place the white corn meal, paprika, red pepper flakes, cumin, coriander, garlic powder and garlic salt, mix well. Take the fish filets, cut them into 2 inch pieces, and dredge them in the corn meal mixture. Fry them in the corn oil in an electric skillet or non stick pan until golden brown on both sides. Remove fish and keep warm.
- 5MAKE THE TORTILLAS:
Take one flour tortilla and one corn tortilla and heat them until they start to toast on each side. I put mine directly on my gas burner on high, watch them so they don't burn, flipping them with tongs. When edges are blackened and the tortilla is hot, fold them in half and keep warm. Now, it is time to assemble the taco.
- 6MAKING THE TACO:
You can serve the fish tacos open faced, like my photo, or serve them folded in half. Put the fish in the taco "shell" first. Add the cabbage mixture, a tablespoon of taco cream sauce, and a dollop of sour cream and avocado salsa. Enjoy!