Elegant Creamy Fish au Gratin
Firm white fish is baked to perfection in a rich cream sauce, then topped with cheese and sauteed mushrooms.
This goes together in minutes, and is sure to impress, both your family and guests, in taste and appearance!
Adapted from the Culinary Arts Institute, this is one of my favorite recipes!
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 cchicken or vegetable broth or stock
1/4 tspdried parsley flakes
·pinch ground thyme
1/4 cheavy cream
1 and 1/2 lbsole, trout, pike or other white fish
1/2 csliced, sauteed mushrooms (or use canned) (optional)
3 Tbspgrated parmesan, swiss, or gruyere cheese
2 Tbspdry bread crumbs
1 Tbspmelted butter
1 tsplemon juice (optional)
·fresh chopped parsley
How to Make Elegant Creamy Fish au Gratin
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bring broth to a boil in a small sauce pan. Blend flour into 1 tablespoon butter and stir into broth. Cook, stirring, until thickened. Reduce heat, stir in salt, parsley flakes, pepper, thyme and cream.
- Place fish in a well-buttered baking dish. Pour sauce over fish. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
- If using mushrooms, spread on top of fish. Mix together cheese, bread crumbs, melted butter, and lemon juice (if desired). Sprinkle over fish in pan. Bake about 15 minutes longer, or until fish flakes easily. Top with chopped fresh parsley.
- *Variation: Top fish with 1/2 cup chopped tomato before covering with sauce.