Crab Cakes with Scallions and Jalapenos
- 12 tbsp. unsalted butter, 1 1/2 sticks, plus 1 to 2 tbsp. for sautéing the crab cakes, or more if needed
- 1 cup finely chopped scallions, including some of the firm greens
- 1/2 cup finely chopped jalapeno peppers*
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp. dry mustard
- cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs. jumbo lump crabmeat, drained well, patted dry and picked over for cartilage and shell bits
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups fresh white bread crumbs
- 1 to 2 tbsp. vegetable oil or more if needed
How to Make Crab Cakes with Scallions and Jalapenos
- 1In large skillet, melt the 1 1/2 sticks butter over medium high heat. Sauté scallions and jalapenos for about 2 minutes or til bright green. Add cream and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or til thickened. Remove from heat and stir in mustard and a pinch of cayenne. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- 2In large bowl, gently stir together crabmeat and scallion mixture. Form uniform cakes by placing spoonfuls of the crab mixture on a baking sheet**. Immediately put in the refrigerator for about 2 hours to firm up.
- 3When ready to serve, beat eggs in shallow bowl and put bread crumbs in another shallow bowl. In large skillet, heat remaining 1 to 2 Tbs. butter and vegetable oil over medium heat. You want enough fat to generously coat the skillet. Working with half the crab cakes at a time (keep the rest in the refrigerator), dip each cake into beaten eggs and then coat with bread crumbs. Sauté crab cake til browned, 2t o3 minutes per side, turning only once., or they will break. Repeat with remaining crab cakes, adding more butter and oil if needed. Drain on paper towels and serve at once.
- 4It's best to remove the seeds from the jalapenos before chopping.
A little salt may brighten the flavors. Cook a bit of the crab mixture before forming the cakes to see if it needs salt.
When spooning mixture onto baking sheet, to shape the crab cakes, avoid making the cakes too fat. Use the spoon or your fingers to shape them, keeping in mind that they will cook more evenly if they have a flatter, patty shape.
- 5Your guests may want some lemon wedges to squeeze over the crab cakes but taste them without first. Or consider a spritz of lime instead.
**Miniature crab cakes are great cocktail party fare. The cooking time is just slightly less for little crab cakes.
*As with all dishes involving jalapenos, touch your tongue to a bit of the pepper before you add it. jalapenos can be incredibly bland or incredibly hot, even if they come from the same bin at the market. It's best to test the heat and judge the amount accordingly.