- 1 lb
- clams in shell
- 1 lb
- mussels in shell
- 1 lb
- large gulf shrimp in shell
- 1 lb
- alaskan crab legs in shell
- 2 to 3 lb
- baby red new potatoes (or fingerlings)
- ears corn on cob
- ribs celery
- 4 pt
- chicken broth
- sachet herbs de provence (link below in comment)
- 1/3 bunch
- fresh clinatro, leaves only
- 1/4 c
- dry white wine (or vermouth)
- 1/2 c
- olive oil
How to Make CLAM STEAMER DINNER TEXAS STYLE (SALLYE)
1. Place clams and mussels in cool bowl of water to soak for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, rinse several times to remove all sand.
2. Scrub potatoes, leave peels on, rinse in cool water and cover with salt
3. Cut each ear of corn into 3 equal pieces and set aside
4. Finely dice cilantro leaves and add to herbs mix. Tie herbs and cilantro into cheesecloth bundle and set aside
5. Julienne celery ribs into 1" lengths and set aside
Okay, now you're ready to start throwing things in the pot
- 2If you have a large steamer pot, use it. If not a regular large stockpot will work if you use wadded up foil to hold potatoes off bottom of pan
Place potatoes in pan first, nestling the herb sachet down in the pile.
Next add the corn and celery; then the clams, mussels, and crab legs
- 3Whisk the olive oil and wine together until well blended, add to chicken broth
Pour the entire liquid mixture over the items in pan slowly. Use all liquid.
- 4Cover the pot and place on stovetop burner, and bring to boil over high heat
Lower heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes still covered.
Add shrimp, put cover back on pot and continue cooking for about 10 more minutes until potatoes are tender and clams and mussels open up
At this point, you need to watch closely. Do not overcook or clams & mussels will be tough.
Once clams and mussels open up, turn off heat. They are done.
- 5Serve immediately with a large loaf of french or italian bread (for dipping in the "pot likker".
Furnish lots of napkins...this can get messy, but oh so good.