BBQ Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp
NOTE!!! I don't "get" the whole grilling thing, so I broiled my shrimp. I've faithfully included the original instructions, but also included my own shortcut.
★★★★★ 2 votes5
1 lbbacon, thin, center-cut style
2 tspsweet paprika
1/2 tspcayenne pepper
1/2 tspcurry powder
1/2 tspground cumin
1/2 tspground coriander
1/2 tspground black pepper
1 Tbspolive oil
2 Tbspfresh lemon juice
1 1/2 lblarge shrimp, shelled, deveined, raw
How to Make BBQ Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp
- Cut the slices of bacon in half. In a large heavy skillet, partially cook the bacon over moderate heat to render some of the fat without allowing the pieces to crisp. Remove the slices as they are done and drain on paper towels. They will still be flobby and look unappetizing. They need to be soft so you can wrap them around the shrimp.
- In a medium bowl, combine the spices. Stir in the oil, sugar, and lemon juice. Add the shrimp and partially cooked bacon, and toss well to coat. Let marinate at room temperature for 30 - 60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, light a charcoal fire. Remove the shrimp from the marinade, reserving the marinade. Wrap a half-slice of bacon around each shrimp and thread on a skewer. Overlap the ends of the bacon on the tummy of the shrimp, poking the skewer through that point and out the back. You can also use a toothpick to individually secure the bacon, if you are using a wire basket or other means to keep the shrimp from falling through into the fire.
- Place the skewers on a sheet pan covered with aluminum foil and drizzle the remainder of marinade over the shrimp.
- Brush your grill rack with a little oil and set it about 5" from the glowing coals. Grill the shrimp skewers for about 5 minutes, until the bacon begins to be crispy. Turn skewers over and grill until the bacon is browned, and the shrimp is opaque throughout.
- OR, BROIL FOR 5 MINUTES, TURN OVER, AND BROIL FOR 5 MORE MINUTES.