Baked Gefilte Fish
1 mediumsweet or spanish onion, peeled and cubed
1/4 clight oil
2 mediumcarrots, peeled and quartered
2 lbground white fish, pike and pickerel, or whatever you choose. wild caught is best
3 largeorganic eggs
3/4 ccold water
1 tspsugar or other powdered sweetener (i use xylitol)
2 1/2 tspsea salt (i'd use way less)
3 Tbspmatzo meal (i will sub with bread crumbs)
How to Make Baked Gefilte Fish
- Preheat oven to 350'F.
- Lightly oil a 9x5" metal loaf pan
Line the bottom with lightly oiled wax paper.
- In your food processor, with the metal blade, add the onion and chop with a few pulses off and on. Saute the onion in the light oil, then cool in another bowl.
- Add the carrots and chop this mixture fine. Return the cooled onion to the food processor bowl and add the rest of the ingredients pulsing twice, then turn off, pulse twice again using this method until you have a meat loaf type of consistency.
- Pour into your prepared loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes then move to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes.
- Place a knife between the fish and the loaf pan and slide it around to loosen the fish, then invert onto a dish and continue to cool.
- Cover and refrigerate or wrap well in tin foil and then in plastic wrap and freeze.
- This makes, 10 servings, or 20 hors d'oevres. This is good served with beet horse radish for luncheon. It is best when you make it 2 or 3 days ahead. That gives the flavours a chance to marry better.