Baked Cod Italian-Style
Angela (Grammy) Derby
- 1 1/2 to 2 lb
- white fish, such as cod or haddock
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1/2 c
- onions, chopped
- 1 c
- bell green pepper, chopped (or a combination of red, yellow & green)
- 1 (14.5 o can(s)
- diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 c
- white wine
- 1/2 tsp
- basil, dried
- 1/4 tsp
- oregano, dried
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
How to Make Baked Cod Italian-Style
- 1Preheat oven to 400'F. Spray bottom of a 9x13" baking pan with cooking spray.
- 2In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and add garlic, peppers and onions; cook on medium for about 2 minutes or until slightly softened.
- 3Add tomatoes and wine; continue to cook for 10 minutes or until liquid has evaporated and leaves a chunky sauce.
- 4Trim fillets by taking off any skin and removing any bones. (Usually they come trimmed and cleaned from the fish section of your grocery store.)
- 5Place fish fillets in the prepared baking pan in a single layer; sprinkle with lemon juice, then spoon the tomato mixture over the fish; sprinkle with Parmesan, if desired.
- 6Bake, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until fish is opaque all the way through and flakes easily with a fork. Serve immediately.