☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 1 1/2 lb
- dried salt cod (bacalao)
- sweet onion, chopped
- garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 c
- olive oil
- 1/2 tsp
- smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp
- euro peppers (to taste)
- 1/2 bunch
- parsley, chopped
- 1 can(s)
- garbanzo beans (14 oz)
- large eggs, hard boiled
- 2 1/2 lb
- 1 1/2 c
- pitted olives, mixed (green, black, kalamata)
How to Make Bacalhau a Sousa
- 1Prepare the fish to remove the salt: Cut the fish into sections that will fit in a large pot ( 2 – 3 sections). Fill the pot with plenty water to cover the fish, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 -10 minutes, turn-off heat and let stand for 10 – 15 minutes, then drain
- 2Repeat previous step, but let simmer for 15 – 20 minutes. With a fork, take off a small piece to taste. If the fish is too salty, drain and repeat boil, simmer and stand. If it is too dry, just let it stand.
*The texture should be like a slightly dry tuna filet, but of course saltier, to taste. You don’t want mushy fish. You want nice flakes.*
- 3You can let stand while you work on the next part, or if it is to your liking, you can remove from water, pat dry and using your hands break fish apart into small flake/chunks, approx. ¼ to ½ inch cube size chunks
- 4In a large fry pan, over medium heat, add ¼ cup of olive oil, sauté onion, when onion is about half done, add the garlic and peppers and sauté for another 10 minutes or until onion is almost done, be careful not to burn garlic.
- 5Add the fish, sprinkle in some paprika for color and fold together and sauté to blend in flavors. Should be a good oily mixture at this point, if not, add some oil and fold together. Keep it chunky. Remove from heat and let stand.
- 6Wash and boil the potatoes. Boil until they are just done, not too soft. Remove from heat, drain and let stand. When they are cool enough to handle, remove peel and cut into quarters or sixths, depending on size of potatoes
- 7Add potatoes to a large bowl, fold in chick peas and fish mixture. The oily mixture should now moisten/flavor the potatoes. Transfer to serving platter. Slice eggs and layer on top, then sprinkle with parsley, olives and garnish the sides with sprigs of parsley.
- 8This can be served immediately warm, cool or cold (like a potato salad).