Zesty Chicken & Dumplings
Daily Inspiration S
Nice Southwestern twist on a old classic. : )
- whole chicken breasts (bone-in with skin)
- 1 1/2 qt
- water (or broth)
- 1/2 tsp
- 3 Tbsp
- 1 medium
- onion, finely chopped
- garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp
- ground cumin (or to your taste)
- 1/4 c
- 4-oz. can diced green chilies, mild (undrained)
- 1/2 c
- half and half
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- flour tortillas (8 inches each)
- grated sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
How to Make Zesty Chicken & Dumplings
- 1Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Place chicken in a 3-quart saucepan, add water (or broth) and salt. Cover and simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from broth and set aside to cool. Strain broth and reserve.
- 2When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove and discard skin and bones. Cut chicken into chunks and set aside.
- 3Melt butter in a 3 quart saucepan. Add onion, garlic and cumin; cook, stirring until onion is tender. Stir in flour. Gradually add 3 cups of reserved broth (if necessary, add water to complete measure). Cook and stir until thickened and smooth. Add green chilies. Stir in half and half. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add reserved chicken. Bring mixture to a simmer.
- 4Cut tortillas into 2 x 1 inch strips and drop into the simmering mixture. Cover and turn off the heat. Let stand, covered 15 minutes. Garnish each serving with cheddar cheese, if desired.