1 1/2 cmirin
3/4 csoy sauce
1 clovegarlic, pressed
1 lbboneless chicken thighs
1-2green onion, in inch-long pieces (optional)
How to Make Yakitori
- Put mirin, soy sauce, sugar and garlic, if using, into a medium-sized sauce pan, and cook over medium heat until there is only half as much sauce remaining.
- Let cool slightly while you are preparing the chicken.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces; keeping the skin on is usual in Japan.
- Thread chicken onto skewers, alternating with green onion if desired.
- Begin grilling the chicken skewers on both sides without the sauce, when the meat starts changing color, brush the sauce on both sides, and continue grilling, brushing on sauce about 3 times total, and turning until done.