Vinegar-Braised Chicken and Mushrooms
4 lbassorted bone-in, skin on chicken pieces (breasts & thighs)
2 lbmushrooms (cremini, white, or baby bella) cleaned of any dirt or particles
2 clow-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cbalsamic vinegar
1/4 cred wine vinegar
1/4 capple cider vinegar
5carrots, peeled & roughly chopped (could use baby carrots)
3 clovegarlic, crushed
1yellow onion, chopped
3 Tbspextra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbspall-purpose flour
·kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
How to Make Vinegar-Braised Chicken and Mushrooms
- Season both sides of chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and, in batches, brown chicken on all sides, then transfer to a separate plate and set aside.
- Reserving 2-3 tablespoons, drain off fat and sauce carrots and onions until tender. About 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook for another 6-8 minutes, or until softened, then add crushed garlic and sauce for 2 minutes.
- Season everything with salt and pepper, vegetables (discarding garlic) to the plate with the chicken.
- Sprinkle flour into the Dutch oven and cook for 1-2 minutes, whisking continuously, until pasty and smooth.
- Pour in the vinegars and whisk until smooth. Cook mixture for 3-5 minutes, or until thickened and reduced, then slowly mix in chicken broth.
- Return chicken to pot and add bay leaf, then bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, partially cover your pot and let simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Return vegetables to Dutch oven and serve with reduced sauce.