Vinegar-Braised Chicken and Mushrooms
- 4 lb
- assorted bone-in, skin on chicken pieces (breasts & thighs)
- 2 lb
- mushrooms (cremini, white, or baby bella) cleaned of any dirt or particles
- 2 c
- low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 c
- balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 c
- red wine vinegar
- 1/4 c
- apple cider vinegar
- carrots, peeled & roughly chopped (could use baby carrots)
- 3 clove
- garlic, crushed
- yellow onion, chopped
- bay leaf
- 3 Tbsp
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp
- all-purpose flour
- kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
How to Make Vinegar-Braised Chicken and Mushrooms
- 1Season both sides of chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- 2Heat olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and, in batches, brown chicken on all sides, then transfer to a separate plate and set aside.
- 3Reserving 2-3 tablespoons, drain off fat and sauce carrots and onions until tender. About 10 minutes.
- 4Add mushrooms and cook for another 6-8 minutes, or until softened, then add crushed garlic and sauce for 2 minutes.
- 5Season everything with salt and pepper, vegetables (discarding garlic) to the plate with the chicken.
- 6Sprinkle flour into the Dutch oven and cook for 1-2 minutes, whisking continuously, until pasty and smooth.
- 7Pour in the vinegars and whisk until smooth. Cook mixture for 3-5 minutes, or until thickened and reduced, then slowly mix in chicken broth.
- 8Return chicken to pot and add bay leaf, then bring mixture to a boil.
- 9Reduce heat to low, partially cover your pot and let simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- 10Return vegetables to Dutch oven and serve with reduced sauce.