Velveted Method to Tenderize Chicken
saves time later when you prepare the rest of a recipe. It is an almost-secret, almost-poaching method used by Asian restaurants. Here’s how to velvet chicken tenders. The prep time includes half hour marinating time.
1 lbboneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
2 tsprice vinegar or seasoned wine vinegar
1 largeegg white
1/4 tspsalt (optional)
2 Tbspcanola or peanut oil divided
How to Make Velveted Method to Tenderize Chicken
- Beat the egg white, cornstarch, wine, salt and 1 Tablespoon of oil in a bowl until smooth.
- Stir in the chicken till coated.
- Cover and refrigerate (marinate) 30 minutes to two hours. Drain in colander.
- Add 1-2 inches of water plus the other Tablespoon oil to the skillet. Bring to a full boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Immediately add chicken strips, individually, to the almost-boiling water. Stir with slotted spoon so they don't stick together.
- Once the water comes back to a barely-bubbling simmer, cook the chicken strips for 1 minute longer, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the chicken AFTER 1 MINUTE with a until ready to prepareotted spoon into the colander to fully drain. SO NOT OVER COOK.
- Place strips in bowl covered with plastic wrap until ready to prepare the recipe of choice.
- Use this velveted chicken in your favorite stir fry recipe.
- You can refrigerate or even freeze and thaw the meat after velveting to use later.