TURKEY (Or Chicken) POT PIE
1 1/2 lbcooked turkey or chicken (white or dark meat)
1 1/2 qtchicken broth (or turkey broth..add a little granulated buillion to it if it needs a little extra flavor
1/4 cchopped onion
1/4 cchopped celery
1 1/2 cfrozen peas and carrots (may use canned, drained)
1/2 cflour - mix with cool water for thickening
1 1/2 cnoodles or flat dumplings, cooked to package directions then drain water off
2 call purposr flour
5 tspbaking powder
4 Tbspshortening or butter (that's half a stick of butter)
·a little melted butter to brush the iops of the biscuits
How to Make TURKEY (Or Chicken) POT PIE
- Cut the cooked turkey or chicken into bitesized chunks. Place the chopped onion and celery in a saucepan with broth and simmer on med-low until almost tender. Add peas and carrots and the turkey or chicken meat. Heat it until almost boiling.
- Mix 1/2 C. Flour with 1/2 C. water and stir to make a thickening for the broth. Stirring constantly, add the thickener slowly. If there are lumps, it's no problem. Make it nice and thick... (See the photo..this does not look runny.) Keep hot.
- In a separate saucepan, cook the noodles or flat-rolled dumplings according to package directions. Drain liquid and add to the broth/veggie/meat mixture, stirring it all together well. Pour all of this into a 9"X 13" baking dish.
- To make the Biscuit topping: In a mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Add shortening or butter and cut in with a pastry cutter making it like a mealy consistency. Add milk slowly.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead 5 or 6 times. Flatten with rolling pin to about 1/2 inch thickness. Using a 3 or 4 inch round cookie cutter, cut biscuits out and lay on top of the hot pie mixture. (If you have any biscuits left, place them on a pie pan and bake them...Now you have breakfast for tomorrow!) Don't forget to brush the biscuits with a little melted butter.
- Bake in 425 degree oven and bake 15 to 20 minutes to cook the biscuits through. They should look light golden brown. Serve hot.
Note: If you don't want to make the biscuits from scratch, you can use frozen biscuits, just thaw them first. Or you may also use canned (like the "Grands" biscuits) If your family is like mine, you might have a lot of dark meat turkey left from a Thanksgiving meal. Dark meat turkey is WONDERFUL in this recipe! It actually makes this dish taste richer!
Bon Apetit' Y'all!