Turkey/Chicken and Dressing Southern Style W/ Giblet Gravy
- turkey / baking hen
- 9" pan of corn bread
- lg loaf of white bread
- eggs, 2 hard boiled
- 1 medium
- onion very small dice
- celery ribs chopped very small
- 1 qt
- chicken stock / broth
- 3 stick
- 3 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp
- poultry seasoning
- 1 Tbsp
- creole seasoning
- salt to taste
- chicken bouillon cubes
- 4 Tbsp
How to Make Turkey/Chicken and Dressing Southern Style W/ Giblet Gravy
- 1TURKEY or BAKING HEN:
- 2The night before making dressing bake corn bread,let set out all night,crumbled in bowl,to dry out.Pinch white bread in about quarter size pieces(the whole loaf)add to corn bread.You can cut off crust if you want,but it will disappear when it is all mixed up.
- 3In the morning wash you turkey inside and out then pat dry. Rub him with 1 stick soften butter,breast side and back side, then loosen the skin on breast and slide left over butter under both sides of breast.Take 1/2 stick butter and put in cavity of turkey.Salt and pepper turkey heavily.
- 4wrap turkey in heavy duty tin foil,put in a deep baking pan then cover pan with tin foil.
- 5Bake on 350 according to directions on turkey for weight. Take out 1 hour early if you want to stuff your bird.
- 7Saute onions and celery in 2 tbls butter and 3 tbls olive oil until very tender,let cool.I chop mine in a food processer,I like the flavor but I don't like chunks of celery or onion.
- 8Mix corn bread and bread add 4 eggs mix,celery and onions mix,poultry seasoning,sage,creole seasoning mix. Add 1/2 of chicken stock mix.
- 9You want let your dressing set for a while,stirring every 20 to 30 min., add more stock if needed, as the bread soaks up the juice.
- 10When you take your turkey out of the oven take off the tin foil an very carefully dip out broth in dressing about 2 or 3 cups.You want it very moist but not soupy. Mix well.Add more sage or poultry seasoning if needed.
- 11Drain as much broth out of pan as you can if you are stuffing your turkey.Fill cavity of turkey,put the rest of dressing around turkey.Return turkey and dressing to oven uncovered.Bake on 350 for an hour, if turkey starts to get to brown tent tin foil over it.
- 12Giblet Gravy:
- 13Put your giblets in sauce pan,cover w/2cups water add 2 chicken bouillon cubes,4 tbls. butter,bring to boil,turn to simmer and let cook about 1 hour until giblets or done.While giblets cook boil 2 eggs,peel an chop.
- 14Take giblets out of broth and chop in small dice.If you don't want the giblets in your gravy discard.
- 15Put 4 tbls.of flour in bowl,add enough water to make a loose paste add to giblet broth while whisking as you add.You may have some lumps, just keep stirring they will disappear.Simmer until it thickens (if it gets to thick thin w/chicken broth or broth from turkey)Salt and pepper to taste. Turn off heat then add chopped eggs and giblets.