Tuna Noodle Casserole (Toss Your Old Recipe! :) )
It's creamy, rich and comforting. Feel free to add your family's favorite vegetables, if desired. It's the sauce that is the absolute star in this dish.
Great with a tossed salad or fresh fruit.
Give it a try and you'll see what I mean!
8 ozdry egg noodles, may not use them all.
1 can(s)cream of mushroom soup (...trust me, it works in this recipe)
1 can(s)white albacore tuna (6 oz.) well drained, or 2 small chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
1/2 cfrozen peas (thawed), mushrooms, etc. (your family's choice) we like it without these add-ins.
3/4 cshredded cheddar cheese, plus extra for the top
1handful of shredded cheddar
1/4 cseasoned or plain bread crumbs
How to Make Tuna Noodle Casserole (Toss Your Old Recipe! :) )
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees if using a glass or ceramic casserole dish. (350 degrees for metal) Cook noodles in salted water as per directions. Do not overcook. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add flour and stir for 1-2 minutes. Gradually, whisk in milk, mushroom soup and salt and pepper until mixture begins to simmer and starts to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Gradually add any vegetables that you desire (about 1/2 cup total) and 3/4 cup shredded cheddar. Fold in tuna or chicken. Then add cooked noodles, a little at a time, until there is still plenty of sauce. I find that I don't add the full amount of noodles because we love the sauce so much.
- Pour into a buttered casserole dish. I use a 12" long x 2 1/2" deep oval ceramic dish. Top with a handful of shredded cheddar.
- Melt 1 T. butter in microwave. Add 1/4 c. dry bread crumbs. Spread over cheese.
- Bake at 325 degrees, tented loosely with foil, for 30 minutes. Remove foil and return to oven for 5 more minutes.