The OMG Oven "fried" chicken
- 1/2 c
- mayonaise thinned either with a small splash of milk or a few dabs of ranch dressing, whichever you prefer.
- 2 c
- fine bread crumbs, ritz crackers, or club crackers...see note at bottom of recipe
- 2 lb
- chicken pieces (i use legs and thighs, 3 of each
- 1 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1 tsp
- each of salt and black pepper
- 1/2 tsp
- thyme, dried
- 1/2 tsp
- cayenne pepper or hot sauce (optional)
How to Make The OMG Oven "fried" chicken
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- 22.In a large resealable ziplock bag, mix together all dry ingredients including spices.
- 3Coat the chicken pieces with mayonnaise. Place chicken pieces in bag with bread crumb or cracker mixture and shake until well coated.
- 4Place chicken pieces in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish and bake for 40-45 minutes or until juices run clear.
I personally don't place them on a baking pan, I place mine ona large cookie cooling rack that's placed on the baking pan....This allows the chicken to be cooked evenly all the way around, without the chance of the bottoms getting "soggy".
Depending on my mood and what flavor I'm looking for, I tend to change this up periodically to match what I'm looking for that day. I love the flavor that the Ritz crackers or Club crackers give to this dish, but I've also used crushed garlic croutons, italian bread crumbs, Panko, and normal bread crumbs with this. They all work great, and each give it it's own different flavor and personality. I've also been known to add in ranch dressing to the mayo to thin it rather than milk, and added into the bread crumbs some crushed "real" bacon bits to give it the bacon ranch flavor that I love. It's a very versitile recipe, so I fully support playing with it!