The Best Chicken Pie In The World
The chicken is roasted first, creating a wonderful rich flavor. Then its placed in a simple filling without all the vegetable fillers (like potatoes, etc) in most chicken pies.
The cheese just adds the final touch and I have to agree this is one special chicken pie.
I tried to find that website again but.. no luck. And there are a lot of similar recipes out there. But I think this one is GREAT! It takes time and work but is worth it.
- 2 1/2 lb
- chicken breasts (with skin)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 stick
- butter, unsalted
- rib celery, chopped fine
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1/3 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 can(s)
- (12 ounce) evaporated milk
- 2 c
- chicken broth
- 1 tsp
- grated lemon zest
- scallions, chopped (or substitute 1/4 cup chopped onions)
- pastry for a double crust pie (home made or purchased)
- 3/4 c
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large
- egg, beaten
How to Make The Best Chicken Pie In The World
- 1Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
Rinse chicken and pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Place on the prepared baking sheet, skin-side up, and roast 35 to 40 minutes.
Let cool to room temperature, remove and discard the skin, and cut the meat from the bone and shred the chicken into 2-inch pieces.
Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- 2Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the celery in butter until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, until it begins to brown, about 1 minute. Stir in the milk, broth, and zest and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Strain the sauce into a large bowl, discarding the vegetables. Stir in the chicken and scallions, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3Let the filling cool until just warm, about 30 minutes.
Spoon the chicken mixture into the bottom pie shell (which has been placed in pie plate) and sprinkle with the cheese. Top with the remaining circle of dough.
Trim all but 1/2 inch of the dough overhanging the edge of the pie, using your fingers. Crimp edges of pastry.
Cut four 2-inch slits in the top of the dough, brush with the beaten egg, and bake until the crust is deep golden brown, 45 to 55 minutes.
Let cool 10 minutes. Serve.