Thai BBQ Garlic Pepper Chicken (Gai Yang)
While the variations are as plentiful as the street vendors, this version is sure to please.
3 lbchicken thighs
12 clovegarlic, minced
4 Tbspblack peppercorns, whole, cracked to medium coursness
1 ccilantro, fresh, finely chopped
6-8 Tbsplime juice, freshly squeezed
How to Make Thai BBQ Garlic Pepper Chicken (Gai Yang)
- Make several slices into each chicken thigh to allow marinade to absorb better.
- Mix garlic and salt into a smooth paste.
- In a flat dish or large ziplock bag(s), combine garlic, peppercorns, cilantro and lime juice.
- Place chicken in marinade and rub the mixture into the the chicken well.
- Marinate overnight.
- TIP: Place chicken on the part of the grill with no flames with the other half of the grill with medium to high flames and close the lid. This will partially bake the chicken while reducing the chance of burning due to flare ups. When almost done (after approximately 20 minutes), open the lid and finish cooking over the flame to crisp the outside of the thighs.