TAMALITOS AKA LITTLE TAMALES (SALLYE)
Bonus, they are easy to make. Try them and see for yourself if they aren't delicious and a hit at any meal.
- 2-1/4 c
- masa harina
- 1-1/2 tsp
- salt (divided)
- 1-1/4 c
- chicken broth
- 1/2 c
- cooking oil
- 2 c
- cooked chicken
- 1 medium
- white onion
- 1 can(s)
- (4 oz) pickled jalapenos, drained
- 1/2 c
- salsa verde (or green chili salsa)
How to Make TAMALITOS AKA LITTLE TAMALES (SALLYE)
- 1Cut 30 pieces of heavy duty foil into 6" x 6" squares and set aside.
Dice the cooked chicken into chunks and set aside.
Mix the chicken broth and oil together until fuzed into a smooth liquid and set aside.
- 2Note: you are going to need 2 food processors (or you will have to wash one between the recipe steps.)
- 3Place masa harina and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt in food processor and process on medium for 2 seconds (just until blended).
Leave the motor running, and slowly pour the broth and oil mixture though the food tube (my processor has a small opening for pouring liquids in during processing).
Continue processing until you have a thick paste.
If you need to use the same processor, transfer the dough to a clean glass bowl and set aside.
- 4Peel and quarter the onion and place in clean food processor.
Add drained chiles to the processor and pulse 4-5 times until onion and chiles are coarsely diced.
Add diced chicken, the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt, and salsa to the processor. Pulse additional 2-4 times until you have a nice chicken stuffing.
Don't over process, you want the stuffing to be a little chunky.
- 5Cover a large portion of your counter with parchment paper (or use a large cutting board or baking sheet.
- 6Put the foil squares within easy reach, along with the bowl of masa harina paste and the container of chicken mixture.
- 7Lay one piece of foil on work surface.
Place about 1-1/2 tablespoons of masa paste on foil, spreading it out into a 3 inch square.
- 8Add about 1-1/2 tablespoons chicken mixture on each masa square, positioning it down the center of the masa.
- 9Fold foil edges together so that masa edges meet, then seal all sides.
- 10Continue until you have used all the masa and chicken mixture.
You will have approximately 30 packets.
Arrange packets in a pyramid in the top portion of a steamer pot.
Do not let the water touch the packets!!!
Cover tightly and steam over simmering water for about 45 minutes.
Unwrap and serve hot.
- 11Note: If you don't have a steamer pot, you can make a substitute.
Crunch up foil until you have two runners about 2" tall.
Place these runners in the bottom of a heavy stewpot and place an inverted metal cake tin over them.
This will elevate the packets above the water and allow for the steaming water to do its job.