Tamarind & Soy Sauce Chicken
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 Tbsp
- tamarind paste (available at some india and pakistani stores)
- 1 c
- mild soy sauce (i prefer kikkoman)
- chicken, 3-4 lbs (whole or pieces, doesn't matter)
- garlic heads, wash, lightly peeled, cut in 1/2 across
- water to cover about 2 inch above chicken
- cooked cous cous or rice
- sprigs of parsley for garnish
How to Make Tamarind & Soy Sauce Chicken
- 1You need a heavy 2-3 quart pan with lid.
- 2Wash and remove fat from chicken.
- 3Wash and remove all but 1 layer of the paper-ish skin from 3 heads of garlic, cut in 1/2 straight across.
- 4Toss chicken and garlic into the pan. Add soy sauce, and garlic.
- 5Add measured soy sauce, then in the same measuring cup add tamarind paste and a little water and mix. Add to the pot.
- 6Cover with water to about 2 inches above chicken.
- 7Bring to a high boil and boil for 10 min., then remove from heat and allow to set for 2-3 min and the skim off any oils and other debris from top of water.
- 8Return to heat and cook at a high simmer until the chicken is fully cooked. Remove from heat.
- 9Remove Chicken from the sauce and place in a covered bowl ready to put back in the sauce.
- 10Pour sauce and solids thru a strainer into a pan/bowl and return sauce to pan.
- 11Pick thru the stuff in the strainer for chicken, add to bowl of chicken.
- 12Find all garlic, remove from the garlic skins. Mash the really large pieces ever so slightly and return all garlic "meat" to sauce.
- 13Taste sauce, add soy sauce or tamarind paste as needed to balance the 2 flavors to your own taste. Bring to a high boil and reduce sauce to about 2-3 cups. Taste again for balance.
- 14Add reserved chicken back to sauce and simmer, turn pieces as necessary to coat with reduced sauce and rewarm thru.
- 15Using either cooked rice or cooked Cous Cous form a ring on a serving platter. Place cooked Chicken in the middle nap with the sauce. Serve while hot.
- 16Garnish as desired. I like the contrast of leaf parsley.