Tamale Casserole - Crockpot
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 largeonion, diced
1 16-oz jar(s)green tomatillo salsa
2 15-oz can(s)chili con carne, without beans
1 15-oz can(s)black beans, rinsed, drained
1 2-oz can(s)sliced ripe olives, drained
10tamales (chicken or beef), wrappers or husks removed
2 7-oz can(s)whole green chilies, drained, cut into 1/2-inch strips
·cheddar cheese, shredded, optional
·sour cream, optional
How to Make Tamale Casserole - Crockpot
- Place half of the diced onions in a 4-quart electric slow cooker.
- Top with half each of the salsa, the chili, beans and olives.
- Place 4 or 5 of the tamales on top.
- Cover the tamales with half of the chili strips.
- Repeat the layers, ending with the remaining chili strips.
- Cover and cook on the low setting 6 1/2 to 7 hours.
- Pass shredded cheese and sour cream on the side.
If you are using frozen tamales, the wrappers will be easier to remove if you microwave them for a few seconds first.
Also, if using frozen tamales, increase cooking time about 1 hour.