Sweet and Spicy Chicken Sandwich
- chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 3 c
- 1/3 c
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 c
- 1 tsp
- 1 c
- 1 c
- panko bread crumbs
- oil for frying
- sandwich buns
- cream cheese, softened
- pepper jelly, home made or store bought
- jalapeno peppers, pickled - sliced
- butter, softened
- thinly sliced onion
- lettuce leaves
NOTE - AS A TIME SAVER YOU CAN JUST BAKE FROZEN BREADED CHICKEN PATTIES FOR THIS SANDWICH
How to Make Sweet and Spicy Chicken Sandwich
- 1Place chicken breast in a large ziplock bag. Mix buttermilk, salt and sugar and pour in the bag with the chicken. Refrigerate for 4 hours or over night.
- 2When you are ready to cook drain the brine and remove the chicken breasts. Cut your ziplock bag on the edges except the bottom. This makes a really convenient way to flatten your chicken breasts with less mess.
- 3Flatten the chicken breasts by half their original thickness. Then cut them in half length wise to create 4 portions.
- 4Heat oil in a large skillet to 350 degrees. Drain chicken pieces and "pat" them with paper towels. In one shallow container mix flour and salt for frying. Pour milk mixed with egg in a separate shallow container and panko bread crumbs in a third shallow container.
- 5Dredge chicken pieces in flour. Then dip in milk ixture. Coat pieces in panko crumbs. Place chicken gently into skillet. Don't over crowd pan. The temperature will drop initially but try and maintain the oil around 325 degrees.
- 6Once chicken is done after about 12 to 15 minutes. Keep warm in oven.
- 7Butter inside of top and bottom buns. Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat. Place buns buttered side down and grill until golden brown.
- 8Place chicken breasts on bottom bun. Top with sliced jalapeno peppers. Spread cream cheese on top bun. Spoon pepper jelly over peppers and top with lettuce, onion slices and the top bun.