SUNDAY ROAST CHICKEN DINNER
- whole chicken, washed and dried
- 4-6 medium
- red-skinned potatoes
- 4-6 large
- carrots, peeled
- 1 stick
- butter, melted
- salt and seasoned pepper to taste
- smokey paprika
How to Make SUNDAY ROAST CHICKEN DINNER
- 1Preheat oven to 325 °
HINT: I roast in Cast Iron in my Dutch Oven, Kettle or Chicken Fryer because it the even heat cooks so well, and because it imparts an amazing flavor to foods.
- 2Do not cut up chicken...leave it whole! Wash inside and out of chicken, remove any remaining feathers, then pat dry with paper towel
- 3Season chicken well with salt and seasoned pepper, inside and out. Place breast side up on trivet in Dutch oven. Sprinkle with Sprinkle liberally with Smokey Paprika.
- 4Surround chicken with vegetables. Drizzle with melted butter. Season with salt and seasoned pepper. Do NOT add liquid! Place lid on Dutch Oven.
- 5Just before leaving for church, place Dutch oven in oven . WHen you return, check chicken for doneness- legs will come away easily from the sockets when done and juices will be clear.
Allow to stand 15 minutes in covered Dutch Oven before carving.
- 6After sitting for 15 minutes, remove bird and veggies to platter. Return pot with juices to stovetop. (Juices will be highly concentrated) Thicken with flour or cornstarch and bring to a rolling boil. ( Gravy will not reach its full thickness until it boils. ) If too thick, thin with chicken broth.