Sunday Chicken Stew
My grandmother Mabel Kennedy Sullivan use to make this for our big family... and we just loved it!
It is easy and just a bit different from beef stew.
*** Grandmother use to serve this with home made biscuits!
Great Grandma's Pioneer Trail Biscuits
***this is not my photo... but one from the internet.... just to show some chicken and veggies...
- 8 - 10 large
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 5 large
- onions (peeled and quartered)
- 5 lb
- carrots (peeled and cut large)
- 5 lb
- potatoes (washed and quartered)
- 1 can(s)
- (family size) cream of chicken soup
- 2 qt
- water or chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp
- each: salt & poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp
- each: ground black pepper & garlic powder
- green onions (chopped large)
- 1 pkg
- frozen peas (thawed and added at the end)
How to Make Sunday Chicken Stew
- 1Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Butter a large roast pan.
- 2Put all the veggies in the roast pan (Except the green onions and peas). Put the chicken breasts on top. Add water or broth. Sprinkle the chicken with the spices. Bake with the lid on (or cover with aluminum foil) for 50 minutes.
- 3Remove lid (foil). Remove chicken to a plate. Add the chicken soup. Stir the soup in. Put the chicken back on top. Bake covered for 20 minutes. Uncover add the green onions and bake another 20 minutes. Make sure chicken and vegetables are done before adding the thawed frozen peas and heating through before serving.. (total cooking time could be 1-1/2 hours).