Spicy Chicken Tomato Soup
Andy Anderson !
And, although, as I pen these words, we are still in the grips of Summer, I know that it won’t be long before Autumn will sweep over the land.
When that happens, the temperatures will drop, and the leaves will slowly fall from the trees creating a multi-colored carpet of reds, browns, yellows and oranges…
It’s time for soup, and you're going to love this one.
- 4 c
- chicken stock, freshly made
- 3 c
- chicken (white & dark meat) about 2 pounds
- 10 oz
- tomato puree
- 1 1/2 lb
- tomatoes, blanched, peeled, and diced
- 1/2 medium
- onion, finely diced, about 4 ounces
- 1/4 c
- long grain rice, uncooked
- 8 oz
- white button mushrooms, sliced thinly, about 8 ounces
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced, about 1/4 ounce
- 2 medium
- carrots, sliced on the bias, 1/4 thick, about 6 ounces
- 2 medium
- celery stalks, sliced on the bias 1/4 thick, about 2 ounces
- 2 tsp
- ground cumin
- 1 tsp
- table salt, or 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tsp
- chili powder
- 1/8 tsp
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/8 tsp
- cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon juice, freshly squeezed, 1/2 lemon
How to Make Spicy Chicken Tomato Soup
- 1It's a cold day... low grey cloud move quickly overhead, carrying with them the promise of more snow to come.
The wind moans though trees devoid of leaves, and the cold empty branches crackle in the cold Winter's breath.
The days grow shorter, and the nights longer. It's Winter, and it's time for warm comfort foods... It's time for hearty soup.
Let's get started...
- 2Place the chicken stock in a pan, bring to a simmer, and then poach the chicken pieces for about 30 minutes.
Chef's Tip: I use boneless breasts, and thighs, but if you have bone-in... that's okay.
Chef's Tip: Remove the skin from the chicken before poaching.
Chef's Note: You will lose about 1/4 cup of liquid during the poaching process, due to evaporation.
- 4Chef’s Note: If you don’t have fresh chicken broth, you can substitute chicken bullion. My favorite bullion cubes are: Telma… They come in Chicken, Beef, and Vegetable. And, if anyone is interested; they’re Kosher.
Of course, if you’re using bullion cubes, technically you don’t have a stock you have a broth.
- 6Pour the chicken stock into a fat separator, allow to sit for a few minutes, and then remove any accumulated fat from the stock.
Pour the defatted stock back into the pot.
- 9Cover the pot, and place in a preheated 225f (107c) oven for one hour.
Chef's Note: Why the oven? When you use the oven, as opposed to stovetop cooking, you get a more evenly distributed heat; while in stovetop cooking the heat is concentrated in the bottom of the pan.
- 10Remove the pot from the oven, add the lemon juice, and serve.
- 12This hearty soup has just the right balance between heat and flavor. The cayenne and chili powder give the dish a bit of warmth that's just a perfect balance. It will warm your heart, it will warm your soul... it will warm your spirit.
Keep the faith, and keep cooking...