Southern Momma's Chicken and Dumplins
4 call purpose flour
2 Tbspbaking powder
6 Tbspbutter flavor shortening
1 1/2 cbuttermilk
1chicken--about med size
3 tspblack pepper
How to Make Southern Momma's Chicken and Dumplins
- Boil a whole chicken in lots of water til falling apart. Take out of stock and debone. *Remember that you will need lots of chicken stock for the recipe. No one can make it better than if it is from scratch.
- While the chicken is boiling but mostly done start the batter for the dumplins. You want a large mixing bowl dump 3 1/2 C of flour into the bowl and mix the baking powder and salt til blended.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the 5 T Crisco and 1 C buttermilk, save the rest for if you think you need it. With your hands mix the flour, starting at the sides, into the well until all is mixed and forms a ball. You can add crisco and buttermilk as you go if you think you need it, this recipe is not based on specifics.
- Dust the counter top of your kitchen area with flour. Place a handful of the batter onto the flat surface. Roll to a thin layer adding flour as you need it to roll. A marble rolling pin is best. Then cut into squares and drop in boiling chicken stock. Stir as you go and with each layer sprinkle on some pepper. Repeat this until you are finished.
- Put the deboned chicken back into the pot and turn to simmer. Chop hard boiled eggs and stir into pot. Let this cook for a hour or so stirring constantly at low heat.