Soda can chicken with classic BBQ rub
·1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
·1 teaspoon kosher salt
·3/4 cup granulated garlic
·3/4 teaspoon light brown sugar
·1/2 teaspoon chili powder
·1/2 teaspoon black pepper
·one whole chicken, 3 to 4 pounds
·1 tablespoon olive oil
·one can dr pepper, 12 ounces, 3/4 cup reserved for sauce
How to Make Soda can chicken with classic BBQ rub
- prepare grill. Brush grill grate with oil
- Mix paprika, salt, garlic, Brown sugar, chili powder, and black pepper in a small bowl for the rub. Rinse chicken and Pat dry. Remove excess fat in skin from the chicken.
- Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of the rub inside the chicken cavity. Brush outside of chicken with 1 tablespoon oil, then sprinkle with the remaining rub, pressing to adhere.
- Pour 3/4 cup Dr Pepper into a measuring cup and set aside for the sauce, recipe follows
Poke 2 to 3 additional holes into the top of the can.
Arrange chicken cavity on can. Pull the chicken legs forward to form a tripod with the can serving as the rear leg.
- Place chicken over unlit portion of the grill. Cover and cook until skin is Golden and crisp, juices run clear, and an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 180°, 1 to 1 1/4 hours, rotating the chicken halfway through grilling. Remove chicken from grill and place on baking sheet. Let rest 15 minutes.
- Dr Pepper chipotle BBQ sauce:
1 cup diced onion
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
12 ounces +3/4 cup Dr Pepper, 2 1/4 cups total
one bottle chili sauce, such as Heinz, 12 ounces
1 cup cherry preserves
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup packed light Brown sugar
3 tablespoons molasses
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons minced chipotle in adobo sauce
salt and black pepper to taste
sweat onion and garlic in oil in a medium pan over medium heat, 5 to 7 minutes.
Add Dr Pepper, chili sauce, preserves, vinegar, Brown sugar, molasses, Worcestershire, lemon juice, and chipotle. Cook until thick and reduced to 4 cups, about 30 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper.