Vicki Butts (lazyme)
·salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cvegetable oil
1 cchopped onions
1 cchopped celery
3 clovegarlic, chopped
1/2 cgreen onions, chopped (reserve tops to garnish)
1 smallbell pepper, chopped
1 cmushrooms, chopped
1 qtwater or chicken broth
How to Make Smothered Chicken
- Cut fryer into serving pieces and season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a heavy pot, make roux using oil and flour. Cook until brown about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add onions, celery, garlic,and bell pepper.
- Sauté about 15 minutes.
- Add chicken and stir well. Simmer approximately 20 minutes.
- Add water, mushrooms and green onion tops.
- Cover and let simmer for approximately 1 hour. Season to taste.