★★★★★ 1 vote5
1chicken cut up
1 tspsalt and pepper
1 Tbsponion powder
How to Make Smothered Chicken
- mix flour, salt, pepper and onion powder
- Wash chicken, then dip each piece in the bowl of flour, salt,pepper, onion powder, lay aside on plate. Do not throw away flour mixture.
- Heat enough cooking oil to fry chicken, depends on size of pan how much needed. Usually I use enough to half way cover the chicken, like Granny did.
- Fry to golden brown and juices are clear, remove from pan onto a plate. Remove all the oil except 1 tablespoon to which you add 1 tablespoon of the left over flour mixture.
- Stir flour and oil together and brown lightly . Add 2 cups of milk and slowly heat until mixture boils and thickens making a gravy. Remove from heat, put chicken into large bowl, pour gravy over the top and serve over cooked rice.