I often put this chicken in the oven before we go to Sunday School and by the time we are home from Church all I have to do is get my sides ready.
1 tsppaprika, sweet mild
1 tsplowery's seasoned black pepper
1 tspkosher salt
1 tspgarlic powder with parsley
1 tspparsley flakes
1 tspthyme, dried
3 Tbspolive oil, extra virgin
1 largeonion, peeled and quartered
3celery ribs, quartered
4 lbwhole chicken
How to Make Slow-Roasted Chicken
- Preheat an oven to 250-degrees.
- Combine the paprika, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, parsley, and thyme in a small bowl with olive oil. Mix well
- Rub the chicken in side and out with the spice mixture, and set into the roasting pan. Place the celery and quartered onions into the cavity of the chicken.
- Cover, and bake the chicken in the preheated oven until no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, 4 to 5 hours. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 180- degrees. Remove the chicken from the pan, cover with a doubled sheet of aluminum foil, and allow to rest in a warm area for 10 minutes before serving.
- If I have the time or think about it, I marinate the chicken in the spice mixture mixed with olive oil overnight in the refrigerator.
- I have also substituted lemon juice for the olive oil and added a cut lemon to the cavity of the chicken before roasting that is a tasty and lower fat way to prepare this chicken.