Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
the directions call for browning the chicken first, but I skipped this step and put everything in the crock and let it cook.
The sauce is not too sweet, spicy and full of flavor! You may wish to use less pepper flakes if you'd like it less spicy. I used the amount listed.
- 2 lb
- chicken breasts boneless and skinless chopped into large bite sized chunks
- 1/3 c
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 1 tsp
- balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp
- 4 oz
- frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 4 Tbsp
- brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp
- 1 tsp
- red pepper flakes (optional, or may use less to taste)
How to Make Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- 1In a bowl, combine and mix orange juice, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, ketchup, ginger and red pepper flakes. Pour the flour in a small bowl. Cover the chicken in flour and shake off the excess. (If freezing add the floured chicken to a freezer bag, then place the sauce into a separate freezer bag. Add both bags in a labeled 1 gallon sized freezer bag).
- 2Pour a small amount of olive oil in a skillet and brown the flour covered chicken. It does not have to be fully cooked, just browned slightly. (NOTE: I completely bypassed this step and poured all ingredients into the crockpot...)
- 3Pour pieces into the crockpot. Pour sauce mixture over chicken and stir.
- 4Cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.
- 5Serve over rice if desired.