Simply Substitute Salad
- 1 1/2 lb
- red onion
- 1 1/2
- lare red tomato*
- 1 bunch
- basil, fresh*
- 1 pkg
- crumbled feta
- 2 dash(es)
- goya adobo all purpose seasoning
- 1 box
- rotini or penne pasta
- 1 pkg
- good seasonings italian dressing mix, prepared
AN * MEANS THERE IS EITHER A SHORT CUT OR A SUBSTITUTION THAT CAN BE USED
How to Make Simply Substitute Salad
- 1Start cooking your pasta on the stove as directed by the package. While this is happening place a large, rimmed skillet on your stove and heat 2-3 tbs of oil on medium heat (I prefer olive oil but you are welcome to use any type you deem palatable).
- 2Cube your chicken (For the vegetarians out there I use Quorn Chick n' Dices because I find them to be closest to the real thing but you can use any sort of "chicken" product just as long as it is cubed. You will cook it exactly the same way as stated in recipe).
- 3Once you chicken is cubed you will need to either ground up 1 bunch of fresh basil with a tsp of water or use the pre-ground basil they sell in the vegetable case at the grocery store (I use Gourmet Garden Basil Herb Blend because the fresh goes bad before I can use it all)
- 4Place the chicken in the skillet and lightly sprinkle with the Adobo seasoning twice. (You will generally find this in the ethnic aisle at your local store. There are two options: you can purchase the one with pepper which is what I use in this recipe or the one with cummin. Either will work just fine). Toss the chicken a few times to ensure even coverage of seasoning.
- 5Cut your red onion into small/medium pieces and toss in skillet once the chicken has been cooked through. Make sure there is enough oil left in the pan to mildly brown and lightly soften the onions. Toss basil into skillet to your liking and stir until all items are thoroughly covered. (I normally use about 2 tbsp of my pre-blended basil which I'm guessing would probably be equivalent to 1/3-1/2 a bunch of fresh ground basil.)
- 6While occasionally tossing the skillet mixture you will cut your tomatoes in large chunks. (I also de-seed mine under running water because I'm a wierdo ;) You are welcome to use halved cherry tomatoes or a bag of sun dried tomatoes if you're looking for something more adventurous.)
- 7By now your pasta should be done. Feel free to drain as soon as it's finished and set to the side as this is made to be a room temperature or cold salad.
- 8Place your tomato chunks in the skillet with another 1/2-1 tbsp of fresh basil mixture and gently toss until it has been coated well and slightly warmed before removing from heat.
- 9Mix your Good Seasonings Italian dressing as directed. If you prefer more of a sweet taste then use an apple cider vinegar otherwise stick with the traditional white vinegar. I also use olive oil as my go to choice but feel free to use a different type if you prefer.
- 10Place pasta and skillet items into large bowl. Pour 1/2-2/3 of dressing over pasta mixture and toss until well coated. Top with 1/2-2/3 container of crumbled feta and toss once more. You're salad is now ready to serve :)
- 11* You can change out or add just about any veggie to this wonderful recipe which is why it is such a favorite of mine. Feel free to try it as is but more than anything enjoy yourself as you experiment with all the amazing varieties possible.