- 5 to 6 lb
- chicken breast cut into strips
- 5 c
- low sodium chicken broth
- 2 c
- soy sauce, low sodium
- 1 c
- light brown sugar
- 3/4 c
- 3/4 cup mirin (rice wine)
- 8 medium
- garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1/4 inch
- piece ginger, sliced 1/2-inch thick and smashed
- 1 tsp
- ground black pepper
- 5 Tbsp
- cornstarch disolved in 5 tablespoons water.
- thinly sliced green onions, for garnish
How to Make SHOYU CHICKEN
- 1Combine all ingredients except cornstarch and green onions in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- 2Reduce to low and simmer, covered, turning occasionally, until chicken is tender, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- 3Remove chicken to a serving platter. Remove garlic and ginger and discard. Bring sauce to a boil, skim off excess fat, and cook until reduced slightly, about 10 minutes.
- 4Whisk in cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, add chicken, turn to coat, and serve chicken with sauce and sliced green onions.
Can serve with white rice or lo-mein noodles.