She Yau Gai- Braised Chinese Chicken
- 4-5 lb
- whole roasting chicken
- 2 slice
- fresh ginger
- 1 clove
- garlic, crushed
- scallions, cut into 2-inch lengths
- leek, quartered lengthwise and cut in half
- lumps of rock sugar, 3/4 inch in size
- 1/2 tsp
- freshly ground white pepper
- star anise
- 1 c
- light soy sauce
- 1 1/2 c
- dark soy sauce
- 1 pt
- chicken stock
- 1 c
How to Make She Yau Gai- Braised Chinese Chicken
- 1Place all group 2 and 3 ingredients in a 6 quart Dutch oven. Bring mixture to a boil. Turn down heat and carefully put chicken on its side into the pot of hot liquid. (The chicken will not be completely covered with the liquid.)
- 2Bring to a boil a second time. cover and turn heat down to the lowest setting. Liquid must not boil any more. Cook for 45 minutes. Turn chicken over to the other side, and cook covered 30 minutes longer.
- 3If the chicken is more than 4 pounds allow about 5-10 minutes more on each side.
- 4Remove chicken from pot. Drain. It may be served hot or cold and may be carved at the table western style or chopped into strips and pieces with the bone, Chinese style.
- 5NOTES: If rock sugar is not available use 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar.
If leeks are not available, double the amount of scallions and garlic.
The liquid that the chicken was cooked in is saved for dipping the chicken into while eating. It is also excellent over rice. Serve with broccoli for a beautiful meal.