SCALOPPINI CHICKEN CASSEROLE (SALLYE)
I think you will like this version. Chow down and let me know.
2 to 3 largechicken breasts, boneless and skinless
1 pkgpepperidge farm dressing (blue label package)***
1/2 cbutter or olive oil
1/4 tspsea salt
1/4 tspground black pepper
4 cchicken broth
6 largeeggs, beaten
INGREDIENTS FOR MUSHROOM GRAVY
2 Tbspbutter or olive oil
1 cthinly sliced wild mushrooms
2 mediumgarlic cloves, finely minced
1 tsprubbed sage
1/2 cdry white wine
1 cchicken broth
1 cheavy cream (or sour cream)****
How to Make SCALOPPINI CHICKEN CASSEROLE (SALLYE)
- ***You can make your own stuffing instead of using prepackaged.
****If you use sour cream instead of heavy cream, you may have to add a little more milk
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
Briskly whisk the eggs until frothy and set aside
Lightly spray or oil a 9" x 13" x2' baking dish
- Cut partially frozen chicken breasts into bite sized cubes, season with salt and pepper, and set aside
- Prepare dressing according to package instructions or your recipe, but do not cook.
Spread dressing into the baking dish.
- Spread the chicken pieces of the top of the dressing.
- Place heavy saucepan over medium high heat. Add butter, when butter is melted, stir in flour and seasonings.
Continuously stir with a wooden spoon until you have a nice smooth roux.
Add chicken broth, continuing to stir until mixture thickens.
Remove pan from heat.
- Blend a small amount of the broth into the beaten eggs and stir with wooden spoon until well blended.
Pour beaten egg mixture into the pan with broth mixture and blend well until you have a smooth creamy sauce.
- Slowly pour the egg and broth mixture over the chicken and dressing.
Bake in center rack of preheated 350º oven for approximately an hour (or until wooden toothpick comes out clean when inserted)
- IT'S TIME TO MAKE THE GRAVY
- Place another heavy saucepan over medium high heat and add butter.
When butter is melted, add minced garlic cloves and sliced mushrooms to the pan and saute until all the liquid evaporates (about 2 minutes).
Stir often to keep from burning.
- Add wine and broth to saucepan and stir until well blended. Slowly add the heavy cream (or sour cream) to the pan and continue to stir until liquid begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and transfer to gravy boat, to have available to pour over chicken/dressing casserole servings.