★★★★★ 2 votes5
2chicken breast halves
·salt and pepper
1 can(s)chicken broth, 49.5 ounces
1 smallonion, quartered
1celery stalk, cut into chunks
1/4 cbutter, melted
2 Tbsptarragon, fresh minced
1 cpearl onions, peeled
1 mediumpotato, peeled, cut into 1/2" chunks
4 smallcarrots, cut into 1/2" diagonal slices
2 cbroccoli florets
1.5 cbutton mushrooms, quartered
·rich pastry crust
2egg yolks, beaten
How to Make Savory Chicken Pot Pies
- This refined version of an old American classic has a rich, flaky, meaty-tasting crust, thanks to its mixture of lard and chicken fat.
- The latter is a handy byproduct of the precooking of the chicken the day before.
- Make sure the chicken fat is good and cold when making the crust.
- Season chicken parts to taste with salt and pepper.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter and oil together in soup pot.
- Add chicken and brown.
- Add chicken broth, quartered onion, celery chunks and carrot chunks and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender, 20-30 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day, skim cold chicken fat off top of broth.
- Reserve 1/4 cup fat for making rich pastry crust.
- Keep reserved chicken fat in refrigerator.
- Heat broth and remove chicken.
- Skin and bone chicken parts.
- Discard skin and bones.
- Cut meat into 2" chunks and set aside.
- Strain broth.
- Reduce over high heat to 3 cups.
- Combine 1/4 cup melted butter and flour in saucepan and gradually stir in broth.
- Bring to boil and boil 1 minute.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in tarragon.
- Cook pearl onions, potato, sliced carrots and broccoli separately in boiling water until tender, 5-10 minutes each.
- Toss together cooked chicken, cooked vegetables and mushrooms.
- Stir in chicken-tarragon sauce.
- Divide into 4 (2 cup) oval casseroles.
- Make rich pastry crust.
- Divide dough in half and gather into 2 small flattened rounds.
- Roll first half on lightly floured board to 1/4" thick.
- Cut dough to fit tops of 2 casseroles, leaving enough dough to overhang edges by 1".
- Repeat with second half of dough.
- Brush edges of casseroles with egg yolk and place crusts atop casseroles.
- Flute edges.
- Make 4 triangular cuts in center of each crust and fold back tips of triangles.
- Brush crust with egg yolk (save egg whites for another use).
- Bake at 400 until crust is golden brown and contents hot and bubbly, 20-30 minutes.