Savory Chicken Cacciatore
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 red bell peppers & 2 green bell peppers
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 garlic cloves; minced
- 1 cup onion; sliced
- 1 tsp red pepper flake
- 1/2 cup basil
- 1 cup dry white wine
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 can diced tomato
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
How to Make Savory Chicken Cacciatore
- 1Prepare the peppers:Preheat the broiler and de-seed the peppers and cut in half lengthwise. Toss peppers in olive oil, salt, pepper. Place in a pan or cookie sheet - skin side up. Broil for 10 mins or until charred and blistered. Dont think you're burning them - the blacker, the better for skinning. Place peppers in a ziploc bag and let the sweat for about 10 min. Peel and chop. Set aside.
- 2In a bowl, season the flour with the garlic powder, oregano, and salt/pepper. Whisk egg and milk in a separate shallow bowl.
- 3Dredge chicken in the flour, then the egg, then the flour again. Set aside.
- 4In a deep skillet, over medium heat, add about 3 tbsp of olive oil, or enough to cover the bottom for frying. Add the chicken and fry about 8 min. Turn and brown another 10 min. Set aside.
- 5In a enamel dutch oven, add 3 more tablespoons of olive oil. Add garlic, onion, tomatoes, lemon juice, red pepper flake, half the roasted peppers, tomato sauce, and the basil. Season with salt & pepper. This is the base. Simmer about 20 min, stirring often.
- 6Add remaining roasted peppers. Tuck the chicken pieces into the base and add wine. Turn heat to low and cover. Simmer for 20 min more.