- 2-3 lb
- chicken wings and thighs, or breast, if preferred.
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil
- small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- large cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tsp
- 1 1/2 c
- long grain white rice
- 2 1/2 c
- boiling water, or chicken stock
- large pinch saffron strands or 1/4 tsp ground saffron
- 1-2 c
- frozen peas
- 3 Tbsp
- chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Saffron Chicken
- 1Remove the skins from the chicken for the healthy version, or if preferred, you can leave them on the chicken portions.
- 2Heat the oil in a large casserole dish or saute pan, and fry the chicken, turning it frequently to brown evenly. Season with a little salt and pepper, then remove it from the pan after chicken is almost cooked and set aside.
- 3Add the onions and garlic to the juices in the saute pan and cook slowly until softened but not colored.
- 4Add the paprika to the onions and fry quickly for about 30 seconds to just brown.
- 5Cut a small cross into the skins of the tomatoes and plunge them into boiling water.
- 6Using a sharp knife peel away the loosened skin from each tomato.
- 7Cut the tomatoes into quarters and remove the cores and seeds. Chop the tomato flesh finely and add this to the saute pan with the paprika and the onions.
- 8Cook for about 5-10 minutes to draw off the liquid from the tomatoes. The sauce mixture should be of a soft dropping consistency when this has been done.
- 9Stir the rice, water and saffron into the tomato puree along with the browned chicken portions. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to simmering, then cover the casserole tightly and cook for about 20 minutes. Then remove the cooked chicken from the pot since at this point the rice will begin to stick. Stir the bottom of the pot to make sure your rice is not adhering to the pot and burning.
- 10Add the peas and the parsley to the casserole, stir well and continue to cook for a further 5-10 minutes, or until the rice is tender and all the liquids have been absorbed. Add the chicken back to the pot and allow to cool before stirring.
- 11Serve warm.