- 1 large
- whole chicken
- 3 large
- chopped onions
- ribs of celery
- 2 large
- whole carrots
- 10 lb
- grated potaoes
- 5 Tbsp
- chicken soup base
- 4 slice
- salt pork or bacon, cut into small pieces and put on top
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C.
2. Cut chicken into large pieces. Place in pot with just enough water to completely cover. Add onions , celery ,carrots and simmer until chicken is tender.
3. Remove chicken from the pot, , take out the celery and carrots but not the onions and reserving the broth. This is very important to have a VERY good broth. Remove meat from the bones. Cut meat into smaller, bite-sized pieces.
4. Grate potatoes. I bought a juicer that collects the pulp in the back rather than grate all your potatoes buy hand, Place grated potatoes in cotton bag. I use a thin dish towel and squeeze vigorously to extract all the water. The goal is to get rid of as much water as possible by squeezing it out .Make SURE to save and measure the saved potato water. Save all the starch that has collected in the bottom of the bowl ,add to the grated potatoes.
5. Bring the reserved chicken broth to a boil. Scald the grated potatoes in an amount of broth equal to approximately the water you extracted from the potatoes. Blend the broth with the potatoes , pore in 3 stages so the potato mixture gets mixed very well
6. Add half of the potato mixture into greased rectangular baking pan or a large casserole dish Add the chicken, then top with remaining potato mixture. Place salt pork or bacon on top , not lots ,just pieces here and there.
7. Bake for 2 hours, or until top is uniformly brown.